Sunday, January 10, 2010

Hello again,

So I will finally have pictures this time :D

Today was Saturday and at the orphanage I am staying at this is also known as the Sabbath..something that is followed pretty strictly here! So, we had a church service today that was in both Swahili and English (there was someone translating). Something you learn here is that Christianity is much more prevalent in Kenya than it is in Australia. It's almost as if everyone you talk to is a pastor of some sort! After the service we all went into town and had a goodbye lunch for Nikki because she is leaving tomorrow. So today has been nice and relaxing..but yesterday was much the opposite...

I spent half the day painting the pre-school that is being built here. We are having to do like 20,000,000 coats of paint on all the shelves and cabinets..and it is taking ages! Anyway, later that day when all the kids were in bed, I walked past the kitchen to see my wallet sitting on the counter. When I asked why it was there, someone said the kids had stolen it, and so I opened it and saw that my debit card was missing! So I had been pick pocketed by a bunch of 5 year olds...but I eventually found it :). The other news for the day was that it was Philip's birthday (someone who lives here @ MIA), so in Kenyan tradition we all surprised him with hoses and buckets of water! But, a few of us got caught in the crossfire... :



good news is there WAS a bday cake :D

On thursday I got to drive one of the big van/12-seater buses around the village. Here is proof:

All the roads were actually dirt roads that were quite rough, wet and bumpy..which was quite fun! So I went with a local elder and pastor to deliver food and clothes to people who have neither. Below is a picture of one of the families we visited:



I thought i wouldn't fit in the photo..but i think i could've stood up a bit more in hindsight. The lady to the right of me called herself a shosho (granny in swahili) and apparently she is over 100 years old! And the lady to her right is her daughter. The Shosho was also quite a character... she poked me with her walking stick when i arrived because I only shook her hand but I ended up kissing her on both cheeks like we were happy happy frenchman.

Here are some random photo's from my travels too:


Us at Lake Nakuru with a nice view: Luke, me, Tim, Jason, Tim and Ivan


Tim and I.. with another view but from the Menengai crater (which is on the other side of nakuru from lake nakuru)


And me being bored before i reversed out of a really thin road

Well, I better be off. Hope you are all well and happy :)

Neil -

6 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Hi boy
    Nice to get your blog and also to see your pics, so so nice. You are doing such a great job & today in church Rus/Warren put your pic pulling a face. Its been great getting the blogs and then sharing with everyone. Will see you soon, happy eating hope the next serve is big enough. luv mom
    Anonymous said...
    Hi Neil,Lovely to hear from you Neil - the familynwere just so excited to hear from you - wonderful experience.The children are just so happy and cute - the one with bouncy balls - they such fun to bounce everywhere. Hope you enjoyed your tandori chicken and you are full. God Bless and see you. Love Mags
    Anonymous said...
    Your news and views are great to hear. It really does give us a more realistic perspective on life in other parts of the world, when you tell us what you're experiencing. Look forward to seeing you in Melbourne when you return! Cheers, Dad xxx
    Anonymous said...
    You're photos look great! Me and Mal can't wait to hear all your stories when you're back. Hope you're having an amazing time and really enjoying the experience!
    Sammy
    Anonymous said...
    Hey Neil, I've been appallingly late in commenting but it sounds like you're having a brilliant and eye-opening time. I love reading about your efforts such as painting the pre-school and attending soccer games with the kids. I can't wait to hear more, please update soon or call me if ever it's possible. Mum, Row and Ian send their best wishes also (of course). Cheers Macca
    angelaaa :) said...
    that's pretty amazing.
    i can't believe you can drive a bus around the town!! you'd have to wait a few more years before you could do stuff like that here. hope you're having fun and eating loads of different foods :D
    love your revolution shirt :)

Post a Comment