Thursday, January 28, 2010

Stellenbosch

Dear everyone,

this is a blog. with pictures!
Today My mother arrived from australia :) So I met her at the airport with Anne early in the morning and then we drove to my gran's retirement home to pick her up. So today's been very laid back and just resting and swapping stories and quite joyous!!

Yesterday I drove to Stellenbosch with Louis and Mark to help Mark's gf Melisa move in to her new house that she's staying in for uni. For half of the drive we just had a ute..so Louis and I sat in the back.. (something I ASSURE you is not illegal here...we had a cop car following us for 20 minutes who didn't even pull us over!):



After we helped Melisa move in we also ate some dinnar:



And then drove home. Stellenbosch is a pretty rad place! Most of the people who live there go to stellenbosch uni and therefor it is pretty much a student town! woohoo! It was only an hour drive out of cape town so it didn't take too long to get there and back either.

Over the past week I have also visited a few different family members (all of who are related somehow or another..) but I didn't get pictures of my twin cousins Megan and Andrew :(..or my other reli's Dave and Trish..but I did get a photo of

me, mornie and my granny:



me and josh (now josh is pretty cool because he plays in a band called freshlyground -> www.freshlyground.com):



Anne, Dave, Frank and me:



So I don't think i've ever met as much family in a whole year as I have met in the past week. As a result I have been wearing a large smile :).

When I went to visit frank in a town called napier (which I blogged about on sunday), we came across a large family of baboons! I am happy to report they didn't attack the car.



And today when Dave came home from work he brought with him five Vuveselas! They are the huge african horn things that are used in the soccer:



Apparently there are around 24,000 ready to be given away in time for the World Cup this year by Coke...its like everything here is being geared towards the world cup! and its very exciting.

Well, thats it for now :D. Tonight we're watching the soccer (man u vs man city)..soccer is pretty big here in africa, and plans in the next week are to go on a bus tour down the coast of the western cape, visit a history museum in the city and venture out to Robben Island (where nelson mandela was in prison).

Neil -

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    The photos are great! Its such a privilege to be able to visit other parts of the world and learn about other cultures and standards and just get that world wide experience. I look forward to hearing all your stories and memories of your time in Africa. Cya soon, dad.
    KelvinL said...
    Fantastic blog Neil! I haven't read all the posts yet, but I will!

    Long time no hear from you too mate, just decided to procrastinate with some blog surfing tonight.

    It seriously looks like a wonderful adventure and some great work you're doing over there Neil. Talk to you soon!

Post a Comment